- Approach the subject, keeping the toothbrush away from the swinging hands and avoiding the kicks.
- Take his dummy out of his mouth and put it to one side.
- Remove anything from his hands that could be used a s a weapon.
- Try to persuade the subject to co-operate, then quickly accept that that is not going to happen.
- When the subject shouts "HELP ME!" try to slide to toothbrush into his mouth.
- Grip the toothbrush in your own teeth while you use both hands to restrain the subject to prevent him from grabbing the toothbrush.
- Realize that if you are using both hands to restrain the subject, you do not have enough hands to actually do the teeth-brushing.
- Consider, for a moment, trying to brush his teeth while gripping the toothbrush in your own teeth, before quickly realizing that that is a ridiculous idea.
- Consider sitting on/tying up/sedating the subject, but keep saying to yourself "imagine social services are watching" over and over until you come to your senses.
- Get his mother to do it instead.
Sunday, 12 May 2013
Here is a beginner's guide on how to brush the teeth of a child with special needs, in ten easy steps.